In a normal year, the hospitality industry would be working flat out in December with extra staff on board and a significant chunk of their annual takings in the bank. But this is no ordinary year and certainly no ordinary holiday season. In year when the industry has already been hit so hard, the complete lack of office parties and family get-togethers is really going to hurt.
But of course there is a way we can help, while filling our bellies at the same time. Because, being the amazing businesses that they are, our local institutions are on hand to take care of all your festive feasting desires. Let one of our local restaurants or caterers take care of Christmas dinner, or perhaps get 'food drunk' on Hogmanay, all from the comfort of your own home.
We've rounded up all the delicious offerings from across the city, but if there are any we've missed do let us know on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
- Wedgwood the Restaurant - Supplying the best restaurant-at-home experiences since the start of lockdown, Wedgwood are now offering festive boxes for delivery nationwide, filled with 5 courses of locally sourced Scottish ingredients. £125 for 2 people or £180 for 3.
- Angels with Bagpipes - ‘Angels Wings’ Christmas Day and New Year's Eve menus starting at £50 for 4 courses (including a cocktail), for delivery or collection. Think indulgent soups, crisp Wellingtons and rich desserts.
- Ondine - an incredible Christmas hamper of luxurious treats that won’t end up in the back of the cupboard. Drinks, cheeses, chocolate and more for £185, perfect for a full week of top-notch grazing.
- La Garrigue - enjoy a Christmas Day feast for 2 with a little French flair. For £150 you’ll get 5 hearty and indulgent courses, a half bottle of champagne, a bottle of wine, bread, crackers and chocolates. Their slightly lighter but no less delicious Hogmanay 4 course meal is £55 per head.
- LeftField - fabulous 4 course feasts for Christmas Day or Hogmanay. Elevated, sumptuous roasts plus Mellis cheese and indulgent dessert, for collection to finish at home. Feasts start at £80 for 2.
- Gardener’s Cottage - build your own feast from their new ‘Cottage Pie’ venture. Start with a venison Wellington or steak and lobster, add on some scallops, roast veg and cheese and feast til you're full. Delivering across central Edinburgh and East Lothian.
- The Little Chartroom - one of Edinburgh’s top restaurants will bring you a four course Christmas feast for £165 for 2, or 5 course Hogmanay feast for £185 for 2, with half bottle of champagne and bottle of wine included. Even if you don’t have restaurant-level plating skills you can guarantee you will be serving up something special.
- Chop House - eat yourself into a stupor with a luxury feast of crab, pate, steak, sides, cheese, dessert, wine, cava and cocktails, all for delivery or collection for £140. Staying in is definitely the new going out with this offering.
- Smith & Gertrude - get your cheese, wine and snacks sorted with a festive hamper that S&G describe as “ridiculously indulgent” which is frankly the best kind. All you could want from this Stockbridge wine bar for £125. There are also some slightly less indulgent but equally delectable options.
- Taisteal - this Michelin-recommended restaurant is offering a festive feast throughout December, with a salmon starter, venison Wellington main and chocolate and chestnut tart, plus mince pies and half a bottle of wine, for just £35 per head.
- Noto - a festive feast of unique, perfectly prepared plates for collection or local delivery on 23rd or 24th for £60pp. All duck pate should come en croute henceforth. You may need a lie down after.
- Contini - get your turkey with all the trimmings delivered on Christmas Eve to finish at home for £50pp. Or go full 2020 with their “Christmas Zoom Party” menu for one, which can even be bought for a full office Zoom party for up to 200 guests.
- Rogue Dining - if you’re after something a little more refined, Rogue are offering a festive four course menu throughout December, or go for their New Year at Home menu that features an incredible sounding scallop and lobster lasagne. Both are £35 per head.
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society - if you like your Christmas dinner paired with a dram then SMWS have you covered. Pre-order now for collection on the 23rd or 24th.
- Dine - the Dine at Ho Ho Home menu features traditional favourites and seasonal delights with something for everything. Delivering throughout December this is a Christmas party in a box.
- First Coast - choose between your traditional turkey, a blade of beef or a pumpkin Wellington, plus starters, desserts, cheese and all the trimmings for £30pp (you can also add on sprouts if you want to). For delivery or collection on the 23rd and 24th.
- Whiskers Wine Cafe - for something a little different but ‘festive inspired’, check out Whiskers Wine Cafe’s 5 course menu with fizz and of course wine, for £120 for 2. The indulgent menu requires minimal prep to make your Christmas Day easy. Order before 13th to receive a £10 gift card to use in January.
- Pie Not? - if you fancy something satisfying and pie-based for Christmas Eve, Hogmanay or even Christmas day, Pie Not? have put together a hearty “Family Bubble Box” that includes pate, pie of your choice and chocolate roulade for 8 people for just £69.99.
- Damiani Fine Dining - bring some Sicilian sunshine to your festive feast with a grazing box from Damiani Fine Dining, 2 or 3 courses from £35pp with a selection of arancini always included. As it should be.
- The Smiddy - this authentic BBQ joint in an old blacksmiths opened earlier this year and are bursting onto the festive scene with their festive feast for 2 including a mouth-watering array of smoked and barbecued meats plus sides, all for £75. You can even through in some eggnog!
- Borough - both your Christmas Day breakfast and dinner can be taken care of by Borough. Get the day off to a fine start with their continental spread, cooked breakfast and a Bloody Mary, £50 for 2. Or indulge in their 5 course Christmas dinner with everything you could want plus a bottle of wine for £100 for 2. This includes duck fat scones. Duck. Fat. Scones.
- Kyloe - build the Christmas feast your heart desires with a range of freshly prepared traditional festive dishes plus a wide range of sides, sauces and desserts. Mix and match to create something for everyone. Collection and delivery available.
- The Garden Bistro - get Christmas in a box with everything from canapes to dessert taken care of. All the traditional dishes you would expect (though the turkey has been Wellingtoned and therefore upgraded), with enough to feed 4-6 people for £150.
- The Pantry - delivering right up to Christmas Eve, The Pantry are offering 3 courses and all the trimmings for just £24pp, with a portobello mushroom option for the veggies.
Marketer, foodie, traveller, rugby geek, petter of other people's dogs.